Monday, November 29, 1999

Kewell `on track` to be fit for Socceroos opener

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Australia winger Harry Kewell is "on track" to recover from a groin injury in time to face Germany in his country's World Cup opener in South Africa next month.The 31-year-old former Leeds United and Liverpool forward was named in Pim Verbeek's preliminary squad last week but is still struggling with a problem picked up while playing for his Turkish club Galatasaray."I'm doing all the right things. Nothing's pulling up short. We're working on a schedule and it's all going on track," he told the Australian Associated Press (AAP) on Monday. "It's important that I am (at 100 percent)... not only for myself, but for my team as well," he added. "If I can't be 100 percent, I'm letting myself down and my team and my country as well."Kewell, who may be asked to play as a lone forward against the Germans in Durban on June 13, will almost certainly miss this week's warm-up against New Zealand.Australia, who reached the first knockout stage at the last World Cup in Germany, also face Serbia and Ghana in first round Group D at the June 11-July 11 tournament.(Writing by Nick Mulvenney in Beijing; Editing by John O'Brien; To comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment