Monday, November 29, 1999

There is politics even in a tea shop: Prakash Jha

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Victory is the most important thing in Indian democracy, but it is not everything and it comes at a price is the feeling the director of film Raajneethi, Prakash Jha, wants the audience to take home after watching his movie, slated for release on June 4.Jha who is in the city to promote the film along with some of his actors and crew said, "Raajneethi is primarily a huge canvas drama which is inspired in terms of characters from the Mahabharat. A political drama that is played out in the landscape of our country and the backdrop of an election", he said.Jha says he does not really have any message to convey. "I am not being judgemental. I don't think I know everything about democracy. I don't think I know everything about governance", he says but he wants to the audience to go home and think about victory and its related issues.Jha said the film which draws characters from the epic, but is set in today's political era and each character is given their own stories, own struggles to deal with.Having worked on the script for five years and one year in pre-production, he said "I am not interested in giving a message. I am trying to tell a story. The way struggle of power overtakes everything"."None of my characters are drawn from any living or past politician of the country, they are characters from the Mahabharat", he says while denying the roles in his film had anything to do with today's politicians.He admitted that his film was also his own having fought an election, which he lost, and from what he has heard and understood of Indian politics.Jha says politics runs in the veins of Indians. There is politics everywhere, politics in a husband-wife relationship, politics in families, "there is politics even in a tea shop". Knowingly or unknowingly, there is politics running within.Talking about Ranbir Kapoor, who plays the role of Samar Pratap, the ultimate outsider in the film who gets reluctantly sucked into the battle-ravaged arena of family rivalry only to turn into a master of the craft of politics, says he agreed to do the film because he was keen in doing something different."It is intriguing and engaging", said the actor.On asked whether he was inclined in playing the role of a politician in real life, he said, "I do not think I am qualified to make an entry into politics. I love acting and at the best I can play the role of a politician on screen. Politics is not something that I follow closely. After this film I will try to follow and be in tune"Manoj Bajpayee who plays the role of Veerendra Pratap, a man who believes he was born to rule, says he was born into a family where reading newspaper was compulsory. He grew following politics closely. "I was intrigued about politics and what goes behind the doors. My day goes empty if I do not read newspapers", he said.Both Manoj and Ranbir agreed that Dr Manmohan Singh was a picture of an ideal politician."My favourite politician over the ages kept on changing. But with Dr Manmohan Singh, I think we have got a deserving leader and PM who has the ability to take the country in the right direction, the direction we dreamt but never dared to take", said Manoj.The film, which is produced and directed by Jha and co produced by Ronnie Screwvala has as cast Naseeruddin Shah, Ajay Devgan, Nana Patekar, Arjun Rampal, Katrina Kaif, Sarah Thomspon besides Ranbir and Manoj.

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment