Monday, November 29, 1999

Canadian author sees flash of a story in India

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Annie Samson New Delhi, May 17 (PTI) Her very first trip to India recently has left a strong imprint on award-winning Canadian author and filmmaker Shandi Mitchell who has discovered the germ of a story in the bustling capital Delhi. Mitchell, whose films have been screened at various international film festivals, forayed into writing with her debut novel "Under this Unbroken Sky," which picked up First Best Book award in 2010 Commonwealth Writer''s Prize in the Caribbean and Canada region. "I might have found a story while I was there (in India). I saw the flash of a story. We''ll see. Of course, I would have to return for much more research," Mitchell told PTI in an interview. The author, who spent her childhood on the Canadian prairies and wrote in her maiden book about lost stories of her Ukrainian ancestors, was in the city recently for the Commonwealth Writer''s Prize final ceremony. Returning to her home in Nova Scotia, Canada where she lives with her husband, Mitchell says she had a bit of culture shock and found it difficult to adjust to the "empty streets" after spending over a week in the second largest populated country in the world. "My trip to Delhi was amazing and I would love to return. Oddly, I had a bit of a reverse culture shock at home. I was walking the empty city streets here (in Nova Scotia) the other night and found it quite disconcerting not to see any life! I guess the constant motion of Delhi made a strong impression on me," Mitchell said. "For me India has always been this mythological magical country. Lucky me. Fortunately, I now have friends in India to help me understand and see," says the author who is gathering stories all the time. "Like all writers I am waiting and watching and looking for stories all the time." Among authors Mitchell has read Arundhati Roy, Vikram Seth, Rohinton Mistry ("A Fine Balance") Khaled Hossami ("The Kite Runner"). Other favourites include Ian Martin ("Life of Pi") Steven Gallaway and Jessica Grant. She also likes the book by journalist and writer Thrity Umrigar "the space between us" which Mitchell says "is very American Indian." Though a first-time novelist Mitchell has produced several films and collaborated on critically acclaimed feature films "The Hanging Garden" and "Beefcake." "The story of my book chose to be a novel and not a film. I wanted readers to experience the book and not see the film made with my perspective. The style of the book is determined by its characters. Being a filmmaker I found it interesting to move between the mediums," says Mitchell about her book which tells the story of Ukrainian family trying to survive in the Praires.

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment