Monday, November 29, 1999

First Love

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Fashion designer Manish Malhotra's nephew Punit debuts as director in BollywoodPunit Malhotra is the typical chilled-out youngster from Mumbai — except that he wants to make films for people like him. The nephew of Bollywood designer Manish Malhotra, Punit is making his directorial debut with a romantic drama I Hate Luv Storys, which hits the screens on July 2. Unlike most first-time filmmakers, however, the 28-year-old is calm amid the flurry of last-minute post-production activity surrounding his film. "I've spent a decade in Bollywood," he explains with a grin.It was as a carefree college student in 2001, that Punit took his first steps in the film industry, when he became an assistant director in Karan Johar's home production Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. "Karan and Manish have been good friends for long. But during shoots, I could not interact with my uncle and I was never pampered by Karan. He treated me like any other assistant director," recalls Punit. Bollywood insiders remember Punit as the 19-year old college student on the sets of Kabhi Khushi...."I Hate Luv Storys is being produced by Karan, something that I consider an achievement," says Punit. I Hate Luv Storys is a story of how love blossoms on a film set and the message of the film, starring Imran Khan and Sonam Kapoor, is contrary to what the title suggests. "I want to show that love can win over everyone. In the film, Imran's character does not believe in love. The story shows how Sonam's character convinces him that love is possible," says Punit. He wrote the script in four months in 2008 and got immediate approval from Johar. "I had never written scripts before," he says.He says the film's mood is young and vibrant and incorporates today's youth jargon. He's also drawn inspiration from his observations on film sets over the years. "Many instances that I observed during my film shoots have made their way here," says Punit. Not surprisingly, uncle Manish is designing the costumes. "I can openly trust Manish with the costumes," he says."It's been 10 years since I first started-off in Bollywood. It was only natural that I wanted to direct my own film," says Punit.

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment