Monday, November 29, 1999

Injured Yuki races against time

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Sidelined due to fracture, Bhambri seeks to make the most of his last year on junior circuitIn his final full year on the junior circuit, Yuki Bhambri's aim to collect crucial tour points before entering the pro league has had a minor set-back. With his leg in a cast due to a hairline fracture, the former Australian Open junior champion will not feature in any of the upcoming tournaments, including the French Open. Bhambri speaks to Sportline on the injury and his future course of events. Excerpts:You were forced to pull out of the ITF Futures in Delhi due to your injury. How long will the recovery take?My foot is currently in a cast. I got a few x-rays done and the results showed it was a hairline fracture. It made me pull out of my quarter-final match against Karan Rastogi last week. My foot will remain in cast for the next few weeks and it will take a couple more after that for the rehabilitation process to end.So that's a total of about five weeks out of the game, which will make me miss the French Open. I will also end up missing a couple of tournaments that were originally lined up for the next month.When do you expect to make your full comeback?I'm aiming to be back on court by the end of June, which will be just in time for Wimbledon. If all goes well with the physiotherapy, I should be back just in time to play in London at the Grand Slam, and hopefully be strong enough to challenge for the title. After all, I won't have too many chances more of playing in the juniors, and to win Wimbledon will be incredible. But as for this season, I will continue to play in the juniors and try and win more tournaments.Who all are helping you with your recovery in this period?My father is a doctor and he knows pretty much everything about such injuries, so as of now, I'm consulting him. It's pretty much a family affair when it comes to injuries in my tennis career. I only have to step outside for x-rays, everything else is done at home.What's the plan after Wimbledon?Well, once Wimbledon is over I'll be back on the ITF Futures and Challengers circuits. The goal will be to gain as many points before I enter the senior tour and also to improve my overall ranking.It improved to 404 on Monday, a jump by 21 places.I haven't really checked the latest rankings because of the injury, but that is good to hear. I reached a career-high last month (321). It dropped thereafter before improving again. I guess, the fluctuation has more or less stabilised here.What is your future course of action?I will spend about a month and more, playing as much tennis as I can in the US. It will also work as a good build-up to the US Open. But as for the immediate future, the aim is to recover as quickly as possible from the injury and hit the court soon.

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment