Monday, November 29, 1999

Kieswetter just trying to stay normal

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

A round of golf and a coffee shop meet-up with friends is about as normal as Craig Kieswetter's life gets now he is a World Cup winner.Kieswetter, 22, who should play against Scotland on Saturday and Australia in the upcoming 50-over series, arrived in England from his native South Africa four years ago after becoming disillusioned with the country's racial quota system.His career has been in fast forward ever since, from the winning a county contract with Somerset to scoring a century in his third one-day international in Bangladesh, to his man of the match award for scoring 63 off 49 balls in England's World Twenty20 final win over Australia last month."I guess it happens occasionally when I get recognised though I would never look at myself as a star," Kieswetter told Reuters on Wednesday."I have just been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and be part of a successful England team. Cricket is what I wanted to do before I could even walk -- I never wanted to be sitting in a classroom looking at books, I always wanted to be on the sports field."So to be able to play international cricket for England is a massive honour, and if that means I get recognised more, so be it."But success rarely comes without sacrifices as is proving the case with Kieswetter, who has dual nationality through a South African father and a Scottish mother.He is keen to uphold an enjoyable youth by maintaining a social life away from cricket, though with his international career taking off so emphatically, his golf clubs are near redundant."I like to play golf (off a handicap of seven) but I don't get to play often enough," said Kieswetter. "Sometimes on away trips I will take my clubs."(Editing by Ed Osmond; to query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)
News posted by www.newsinfoline.com
Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment