Monday, November 29, 1999

Turning a new leaf

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Anurag Kashyap and Kalki Koechlin on how life has changed after Dev.DKalki is so beautiful, I used to wonder why she chose me. But as I got to know her better I realised she is a geek at heart, and she simply chose another geek," says Anurag Kashyap, bashfully. There is enough evidence around him to prove that. The smallest of the three rooms in their Versova pad is lined with racks stocking books and DVDs. The living room too has three ceiling high wall-units crammed with their favourite titles from across genres, but dominated by crime fiction. The 38-year-old filmmaker shows off the collection like a child who takes pride in his toys. "Kalki and I bonded over books, films and alcohol," he laughs as he stops by his rich collection of spirits in the kitchen.His girlfriend—actress Kalki Koechlin—looks around the room where the only other items are a flat screen television, a centre table, a two-seater couch and two chairs. "My future will be spent designing wall units," she sighs, "When I first came to this house, it was a mess. These books and DVDs were lined up in a corner with pizza boxes next to them and the paint was peeling off the walls. I've put in a lot of effort doing it up."The couple started dating after Kashyap concluded the shooting schedule for Dev.D, which was also the 22-year-old's debut as an actress. The film, in more ways than one, has turned a new leaf for both. The success of the film established Kashyap as an avant-garde filmmaker and his unconventional Gulaal, which released soon after and won critical acclaim, reinstated the fact.Though Kashyap's next directorial project is yet to release, his meetings with Danny Boyle for a prospective project, which he is tightlipped about, are no secret. However, the recent feather in his cap is Kashyap's home production Udaan's entry into Cannes for which the team will be attending the red carpet event. The film, directed by Vikramaditya Motwane, who co-wrote Dev.D with Kashyap, depicts a teenage boy's return to home after being abandoned in a boarding school for eight years.The filmmaker, however, credits Koechlin for the success. "Life has changed only over the last one-and-a-half years. My life was a mess; everyone knows that. But today, I am making changes in my life that I once said I never will. It's been two weeks I quit smoking. I am able to get funding for my films and I am getting to do the kind of work I want to."The actress, however, refuses to take any credit. "We are two people who were struggling for unconventional things and being together has provided us both with the emotional support because we understand each other," she smiles as we lounge over a cup of tea on the couple's magnificent terrace with a view of the sea.After portraying Chanda's character in Dev.D, the Indian-born French actress is ready to begin shooting for Zoya Akhtar's next with Farhan Akhtar, Hrithik Roshan, Abhay Deol, and Katrina Kaif and also My Friend Pinto, a Sanjay Leela Bhansali production, after a two year break. Theatre and writing her first film screenplay have kept her occupied meanwhile. "I wrote my first play Skeleton Woman and then That Girl in Yellow Boots, which should be ready by June," she says. "I am quite lackadaisical about writing and would wait for inspiration but Anurag was around to push me. He wouldn't let me sleep and get me edgy, which is also what the characters in Yellow Boots required." Though she claims she wrote a drama, Kashyap says he has directed it as a thriller.As often happens in relationships, which are out there to be judged, Koechlin is often subjected to judgments. "People think Anurag is ghost writing for me. It's infuriating," she frowns. Kashyap is quick to add, "How can being with me help her when I too am still struggling?"Kashyap, however, does acknowledge that Indian cinema is maturing and is aware that part of the credit goes to him. "People consider this as a movement but the fact is that I was only fighting my own battle. The good part is that I am no more alone." Koechlin considers it commendable that he continues to experiment and has not subscribed to a formula "though Anurag easily could make another Dev.D". "I can probably make enough money to buy this house if I do so," smirks Kashyap, "And people think I am stupid to not do that. What works for me is that people used to call me stupid earlier and they continue to do so. Till the time they continue to doubt me, I know I am on the right path."

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment