Monday, November 29, 1999

Javed Akthar gets death threat, files complaint

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Lyricist and poet Javed Akhtar complained to Cyber Crime Cell of the Mumbai police on Saturday that he has received a death threat in an e-mail, which also criticises him for his comments against the fatwa on Muslim women issued by some Muslim clerics in Deoband.The fatwa was reportedly against Muslim women as earning members of the family. "During a panel discussion on a television channel on May 11, I had strongly opposed the supposed fatwa... 'supposed' because some time later, the body had denied that they had issued any such fatwa. However after that comment, I began receiving several e-mails protesting my comment and on May 12, I received an e-mail from Aneesul Islam threatening me with dire consequences. It was a long e-mail that stated that 'it was my last warning and I won't be able to save myself henceforth. I left for Kerala the next day and returned on Friday. At my friends' and my wife Shabana's behest, I lodged a complaint with the Cyber Crime police station at BKC," said Akhtar.However, the man to whom the e-mail id belongs has sent another mail to Akhtar claiming that his account had been hacked into. "I have received another mail from the same id and the sender has vehemently denied that he has sent the threat mail to me. He also claims to be a victim as his id was also hacked into and misused. The investigation will reveal who is responsible," said Akhtar.Even as Crime Branch officials said the investigations were in progress, Additional Commissioner of Police (West Region) Amitabh Gupta said two policemen had been deputed to provide security to Akhtar.

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment