Monday, November 29, 1999

Nicole retains Asian C``ship title for seventh time

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Chennai, May 4 (PTI) World number one women squash player Nicol David of Malaysia defeated Hong Kong''s Rebecca Chiu of 11-6 11-7 11-7 in the summit clash here today to retain her Asian Championship title for the seventh time. It was double celebrations for Malaysia as Mohd Azlan Iskander defended the men''s title, after Amir Atlas Khan of Pakistan conceded the final match due to a leg pain while he trailing 11-8 11-4 3-0. The title also saw Nicol retain her world number one status for the 46th month in succession. Nicol dedicated the title to her family. "My family has been supporting me ever since I took to the game and I dedicate this title to my them," she said. "But Chiu was a strong opponent having been in the circuit for long. I had to bring in changes in my game to beat her. I never wanted to give her enough room to manoeuvre. "Title wins in championship like this always help in keeping the momentum ahead of the World Open," Nicol added. Meanwhile, a disappointed Atlas Khan said, "I have been experiencing this problem for over six months and back home the doctors were giving different opinions. Next month, I am going to meet a doctor in Germany. I hope to become much fitter before the Commonwealth Games." .

News posted by www.newsinfoline.com

Click here to read more news from www.newsinfoline.com
Please follow our blogs

newsinfolinephotogallery
prabugallery
newsinfolinephotogallery1

photogallery1

No comments:

Post a Comment